• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Nootropic Stack - Anxiety, Depression, Memory

tenshu2k

Bluelighter
Hi,

I'm trying to put together a stack of supplements (otc or not) to take daily to improve my life and health. I suffer from anxiety, mild-mod depression, and am trying to improve my memory and cognition (some damage through past alc&mdma abuse).

So far I take
Alpha Lipoic Acid
Piracetam (2g)
Choline
B100 Complex
Multivitamin
Fish Oil 3x
Melatonin 3mg (at night)

Here are some questions and thoughts on additions:
ALCAR - can i add this with choline or should it replace it?

Picamilon - may help with anxiety?

Naltrexone? - anxiety/alc abuse

Sulbutiamine? - heard this improves memory

Selegiline?

I've seen people with huge stacks, but I don't want to overdo it. Just want things that are effective. Thanks in advance.

What else would be good to add?

phenibut and taurine. Pu-erh tea, green tea, ashwaghanda, or gotu kola are all mild to moderate anti-anxiety substances

I seem to be on and off with piracetam, but personally find lower dosages to be better... 800 mg or so per dose, maybe just once a day, for the best results. I do however remember consistently dosing twice, or around 3 grams total (upping the second dose to two 800 mg caps) per day sometimes. I found it very motivating, and began running the last time I started "fresh" with it. Around that same time, however, I began taking Alpha-GPC and Phosphatidylserine, which is known (PS) to increase motivation.

I actually noticed that the combination supplement that I was taking, of GPC and PS seemed to give me more benefit in areas of simple concentration and staying on task than when adding Piracetam. Piracetam is a sensitive subject for me to say anything about. I tend to agree and disagree with what I say about it much of the time. Certainly interesting stuff.. awesome at times... in feeling. It helps with energy, too. I can't say much about it. Worth a try, definitely. Great with weed.

I would recommend trying phosphatidylserine, to add to your list of things to experiment with.

Sulbutiamine- I recently stopped taking this after reading about how it traps dopamine in the synapse, sort of overloading things in a way similar to cocaine. Although I'm not positive about this information, I noticed a definitely undesirable effect... a sluggishness added after some time taking it.. irritability as well, to name one other. I had to stop. As soon as I did, I felt better. I wasn't taking any high doses or anything.. I actually couldn't even take the recommended without a headache. ...So you might have a different experience.

Perhaps try experimenting with some adaptogenic herbs (something I've just been introduced to).
Rhodiola is one I've tried most recently, and seemed to be good. It's said to help with depression, and possibly anxiety. I like it. Ginkgo, Ashwaghanda... I take those too, but am currently in question about the combination of these herbs, and how much I should be taking Ashwaghanda.

Anxiety:
I suffer from the same, but mine was reduced to a great degree after cessation of my consumption of allergens, such as milk and other dairy. Also, enzymes are good for anyone, especially those eating a diet of mostly cooked, "dead" food- which lacks the enzymes that raw food might, allowing for easier breakdown by our systems. This stresses us out on the inside, and it's all interconnected.. issues with digestion, even if unnoticed, might be causing problems like anxiety, depression... playing a part in schizophrenia... etc.

Picamilon- I used this for several months. I must have liked it. I do however seem to remember an effect that might not have been directly attributed to it- a reversal of it's effect against anxiety. I've found better things for that (enzymes, choline, some others). One thing I didn't like about this is that it seemed to water down the effect of marijuana... reducing it's duration significantly. This might have something to do with the niacin. This is one reason I stopped.

Fish oil definitely, ALCAR... I personally find Choline to be better, but uhh.. I've taken both the same day, just one in place of the other at dose-times. I really don't know the method of action here. From recent reading, although I don't have the source off-hand, Alpha-GPC works better than ALCAR... A good source of Alpha-GPC might be from the company "Doctor's Best", in their product called Natural Brain Enhancers, which is a combination of 300 mg GPC and 100 Phosphatidylserine per capsule. GPC is a form of choline that penetrates the blood-brain barrier. Good stuff... Cheapest from http://www.allstarhealth.com/f/doctors_best-natural_brain_enhancers.htm

Last edited:
I am a fan of nootropics, I love them much, and take them daily(but soon I'll finish this course), but I don't understand why people use nootropics for depression/anxiety. Nootropics aren't magic pills, they can't improve everything. Can they improve memory? Maybe. Increase attention and concentration? Possibly. Help you with anxiety and deprssion? Well, who knows.

Buf if there are antidpressants and anxilotycs, why not use them for treating depression and anxiety?
Did you visit a doctor? Was you properly diagnosed?

I don't understand why people view nootropics as a silver bullet.

Piracetam - and Oxiracetam and Nefiracetam for that matter - will all make me suicidally-depressed if taken chronically. I am diagnosed with Depression, anxiety, and ADD if that matters at all. Be very careful with these compounds...

As for Nootropics in general, the only ones I care for are Hydergine, Nicergoline, and Adra/Modafinil. Everything else is either ineffective or harmful (see piracetam).

what dosage of niacin. i get around 100mg a day from the b100 complex alone.

What you're supposed to do is take the crystallized kind, and enough to make you flush.

I've been taking a lot, 1000mg 3 times a day, testing it for depression and anxiety. I hear a good dosage is just enough to make you flush, you're supposed to increase it incrementally until you first have signs of flushing.

Also, DO NOT take the time released one, a lot of studies say that kind leads to liver toxicity.

Check out doctoryourself.com

i take at least 3000 mg a day. My doctor said to stay in the range of 1-6 grams per day.

Heyy maybe add 5-htp to the mix?

And i have heard of most of these but anymore information on this Phosphatidylserine your talking about?

The internet doesnt really go too much into its effects it seems mostly efffective for help with memory and cellular function an what not.

But im most interested in the motivation benefits you say you got from it. Is it really worth a try or are there better supplements out there?

PhosphatydylSerine is an essential part to my stack. It's a very important component of every cell membrane in the brain, as well 800 mg a day has shown to rebuild the volume of the hippocampus lost by extreme stress and PTSD.

PhosphatydylSerine is an essential part to my stack. It's a very important component of every cell membrane in the brain, as well 800 mg a day has shown to rebuild the volume of the hippocampus lost by extreme stress and PTSD.

can you post a link to this? not doubting at all, just would love to look into this more. do you know of any other nootropics that restore damage from PTSD?

I have been on and off with piracetam, usually at 2400 mg/day, though other people seem to prefer less, and with lecithin at 2400 mg/day as well. The compound mentioned below I have found to be effective as well though addiction concerns have kept me from using it very often.

As for Nootropics in general, the only ones I care for are Hydergine, Nicergoline, and Adra/Modafinil. Everything else is either ineffective or harmful (see piracetam).

(S)-2-pyridin-3-yl-1-methylpyrrolidine...

Last edited:
^ Interesting you mention that. Since (or even right after) the post I made above, I started using 'racetams specifically in combination with hydergine and gabapentin, to find myself astonished with the difference.

I had some Nefiracetam left over and, given that I remember it being the least negative of the three, I took it while the supply lasted, and was pleasantly surprised - it was in every way positive. And before anyone brings up that one study, I'm personally not too worried about my dog balls.

I then got some Aniracetam and the pleasant surprise continued! And, as if to confirm, my anirac. course went on a week after I ran out of hydergine - and I actually noticed a complete loss of the desired effect and even some edginess.

I then tried it with Piracetam, and noticed that while a single dose was ok, continued use did replicate my past experience of it causing depression, although not suicidally this time around.

Now I am trying the same process with pramiracetam and although it works about as well as ani, it is not as energetic and even dull in some ways. The best of the ones I tried, I found, is definitely Nefiracetam: it seems to be directly mood-brightening in a way, and the best in defeating lethargy...

In a word, this in every way mimics the antideressant effect that I found in Ketamine. Or it may have simply enhanced it - after all, K's effect long outlasts the drug's presence in the system. The latter possiblity explains why my reactions to 'racetams has changed to its opposite - that they merely enhance the integration of lessons learnt, and have little intrinsic mood-balancing effect of their own.

So all in all, I still attribute the main effect to hydergine, but the synergy between it and ani/pram/nefi is too striking to neglect. I suspect the gabapentin helped only insofar as it fulfilled its place as a drug I am dependant on, since I noticed myself taking less and less of it after a few months of the above regimens.

I do note that the synergy is amplified even more when used with adra/modafinil.

And the icing on the cake? My craving for alcohol is OBLITERATED. I never had a chronic alcohol issue, but did turn to it for comfort at one dark moment and paid the price with blood and tears. I am happy that even my aesthetic appreciation of wine has diminished from a hobby to a novelty. I have not had a single drink for a couple of months now.

what does hydergine do?

so one would need to take a *racetam+choline+hydergine to see its full effect? how would you compare the racetams? I've been on piracetam for around 4 months straight now (1600mg). I notice an effect, but its much milder than it once was.

I started 1000mg of niacin daily, I've noticed increased energy and brightening of my mood so far. Haven't added picamilon to the mix, but I am exploring ashwagandha.

raw cacao
raw goji berries
dark leafy greens
sprouted nuts and seeds
hemp oil with DHA

This is all real food tried and true for thousands of years.

I found aniracetam, l-theanine and alpha-gpc to be a very good basic stack for memory and mental focus, very good synergy with cannabis/nicotine/caffeine also. I am all out of nootropics though and will be gathering supplies to start another stack once the semester begins drawing a bit closer.